Monday, September 27, 2010

Repaired Argument

Repairing arguments is a very easy concept. While repairing an argument, we are allowed to add a premise or a conclusion as long as it satisfies three steps:
-The argument is transformed into a strong or valid argument
-The premise added is a plausible one and other people believe it to be plausible as well
-The premise must be more plausible than the conclusion
We are also allowed to delete one of the original premises IF the argument does not become worse from us doing so.

Argument: Only Anaheim Ducks fans like Corey Perry. Therefore I like Corey Perry.

Analysis: "I am a Ducks fan" is the only premise that needs to be added in order for the argument to be a valid or strong argument. Therefore, we need to add this premise.
With this premise added, the argument would be: Only Anaheim Ducks fans like Corey Perry. I am a Ducks fan. Therefore I like Corey Perry. Once the premise is added, the argument is good.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I really found your blog post very helpful when it comes to understanding how to repair arguments. The example that you gave was very clear and easy for me to comprehend, and apply to my understanding of the concept of what we’re currently learning in class. I can also obviously see what was needed to be repaired with the example you gave, which turned on the light bulb in my head, and realize that a premise was missing to connect the dots in your example. I also like how you listed the three important guidelines to repair an argument and make it into a good, strong, plausible, and valid one. Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elsie,

    Thank you for this post, at first I was a little unsure on how to repair an argument. I thought I had an idea of how to, but it turns out I do know how to repair these arguments. Your post helped clarify a few things for me, and make it firm so that I know exactly what repairing an argument is. You used a fine example on when to add a premise to make the argument stronger, without it, it would not be a very good argument.

    It's like saying, People who are filipino grew up to love mangos. Therefore I love mangos.

    To make that stronger, I have to add a premise "I was born as a Filipino."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elsie,
    You have a great strong example of repairing an argument. When we add more premises that coalesce with the current argument and conclusion, the argument seems smoother and it transitions much easier. Your example is most definitely possible, but not probable. When you add an extra premise such as “I am a ducks fan”, it repairs an argument and makes it much stronger. When extra premises are added, it really beefs up your argument, even if it isn’t all that logical. The argument will completely depend on whether or not the premise added is plausible or not. All in all, great post!

    ReplyDelete