Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Red Bull gives you wiiings"

The advertisement that I chose for this post is an advertisement made by the energy drink Red Bull. Red Bull chose to sponsor the freestyle motocross super star Robbie Maddison. In the advertisement, Maddison is jumping over the Arc de Triomphe in Las Vegas. As soon as he makes the high jump, he takes off his helmet and says, "Welcome to my world, the world of Red Bull." It is then written on the screen, "Red Bull gives you wiiings." - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXa02tB8DLo

In section A & B of chapter 5, it says that we can accept or reject a claim based on our personal experiences as well as other reliable sources.

I am going to reject this claim and disagree with it. Even though I love Robbie Maddison and consume Red Bull often, I do not agree with the claim that Red Bull gives you wings. Based on my own experiences, I do not find that Red Bull gives me wings. Of course, I know that this claim is a metaphor. Red Bull does not literally give people wings; it implies that people will feel more energized then usually. Based on my own experiences, I do not believe this claim. I have drank Red Bull many times before and it honestly has never really worked on me. Red Bull has never energized my friend Stephanie either. Neither of us felt that Red Bull "gave us wings."

Also, I have read many articles, written by doctors and researchers, explaining that Red Bull was not healthy for our bodies. Enhance why it was banned for a really long time in France for example.

Overall, based on my personal experiences with Red Bull, as well as the articles I have read, I chose to reject the claim.

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree with the rejection of this claim made by Red Bull. Red Bull has based the majority of it advertisements on the product “giving you wings”. When does not. I think the ad is trying to imply that you feel like your flying as you drink Red Bull. I like that you used the Red Bull ad because I think we can see a Red Bull ad every time you turn the television on. I also liked how you used both personal experience and reliable source to explain why you rejected the claim Red Bull makes in their advertisements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have to reject the idea that Red Bull will give you wings. I think this is a good example of an advertisement that covered from head to toe in glitz. The whole point seems to showcase the incredible lengths that someone can go if they are drinking Red Bull. However, we know from personal experience that what Robbie Madison did had nothing to do with him drinking any sort of energy drink. Asking a celebrity to endorse a product is an old concept, but seems to still be highly affective today. We know who Peyton Manning is, so we should trust him when he says Sony has the best quality TVs right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will third this rejection of Red Bull giving you wings. Having been an avid dirt bike rider myself in the past, I have never successfully had a Red Bull then literally went out with a set of wings and taken off. The Red Bull advertisement along with Robbie Maddison’s jump is very well known and publicized, and is easy for everybody to relate or look up to see what your blog post is referring to. Like Journey said, the advertisement is trying to imply that drinking Red Bull will give you these almost supernatural talents. Through personal experience, accidents, and injuries, I can definitely vouch that this is not the case.

    ReplyDelete