Saturday, October 2, 2010

"Eh, who is he to make this argument?!"

All day I was thinking of a concept from the readings that I found interesting and wanted to blog about and could not figure one out until I got done with my ice skating practice. In our reading, the author talked about a concept in which an argument is not taken seriously because of the person who made it. During my practice, one of the assistant coach told me that i needed to put more weight on my right leg while making a move or I would eventually end up hurting myself or my partner. I was in a bad mood and and did not give him a response. I instead gave him a head nod and skated away. My partner then skated over to me and said "who cares, he's just the assistant coach. His comments don't matter." Now had it been my coach who had made this specific argument, my partner would not have doubted his argument and would not have commented on it. I then automatically thought about the reading and remembered it. Sometimes people, like my partner, tend to overlook an argument because of the person who made it. In this specific case, my partner did not think of the argument to be important because of the person who made it. It is therefore important to make a clear distinction between who makes the argument and what it is about.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good, realistic example that we often come across in regards to discounting information soley because of who stated it. This is a great error in critical thinking that can prevent one from making an educated decision based on what could be useful information. Essentially, we are committing a personal bias when potentially useful information is ignored. It is important to remain open-minded yet vigilant. An important addition to this concept is that it is necessary to analyze the source of the information. If a source has been credible/reliable in the past than, we can hold it to a higher standard (and vice versa). Determining who or who not to believe can be difficult, but ultimately we must exert our best judgment.

    ReplyDelete