Friday, October 8, 2010

2 things I learned from chapter 7

One of the things I learned from chapter 7 is how to raise objections and why it is important to do so. Raising an objection is used to demonstrate that an argument is either weak or dubious. For example yesterday, my ice skating partner made this argument: "We should skate to this kind of music, because everyone likes rap these days." My coach however raised an objection by saying "I actually do not like rap. Moreover, your choreography will not work to rap rhythm." My coach raised an objection to show that my partner's argument was weak.
Another thing I learned from chapter 7 is how to refute an argument. In our book, it gives us three ways of refuting an argument. First, "show that at least one of the premises is dubious," second, "show that the argument isn't valid or strong," and third, "show that the conclusion is false." Here is an example of how to refute an argument; "I really want good french fries. But the ones my mom makes are not good. Therefore I am going to go to the only good place that makes good french fries; mcdonalds." As I am sure most of you guys would agree, it is very easy to refute this argument. One could first argue with the premises and say that first of, the french fries made by my mom are in fact really good. One could also argue with the conclusion and say that mcdonalds does not make the best french fries. This argument is very easy to refute because not only is the conclusion false, but the premises are also not valid.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your example of what you learned chapter 7. I took found that how to refute an argument is a very beneficial and effective tool needed to argue. Your example of the Mcdonald’s fries is a great example. This argument definitely has a false conclusion and is very subjective. I personally feel that Mcdonald’s doesn’t have the best French fries and that its fries are mediocre. We can point out things that refute this claim, such as how Mcdonald’s fries are bad for your health or how they are too salty. These refutations show how easily this statement could be false. Overall, great post!

    ReplyDelete