Saturday, October 9, 2010

Conditional Claim

One of the topics I found interesting in our reading this week was the topic of conditional claims. As the book states, "a claim is a conditional if it can be rewritten as an "if... then..." claim that must have the same truth-value."
An example of a conditional claim would be: "If you clean your room before noon today then you will get to go to the party tonight." In this specific claim, there is no promise that the person will get to go to the party. It is a conditional promise; meaning that IF the person cleans their room before noon, they will therefore get to go to the party.
I found this specific topic to be really interesting because it was pretty easy to understand and most of us tend to use conditional claims a lot. My older brother for example used to use this kind of claims with me all the time. He would for example tell me "if you do not tell mom and dad that I went out tonight then I will give you a ride to your friend's house tomorrow."

1 comment:

  1. Conditional claims are used a lot when people talk about how something might turn out. I like how you describe your example as a conditional promise and conditional claims are pretty easy to comprehend. Not all conditional claims are written as "If... then..." An example would be "Clean your room and your mom will be happy." It is clear that it is a conditional promise. I am the oldest of four sisters and I use these claims a lot so they can listen to me. For example I tell this to my little sister a lot "If you make your bed, I will buy you ice cream."

    ReplyDelete