Saturday, November 6, 2010

Apple Polishing

In chapter 10, we talked about a concept called "Apple Polishing." When I first read about this concept in the book, it was a little vague to me. I did not fully understand what it was exactly or even how to use it. After researching it online though, I found out that it is an appeal to emotion which uses flattery; in most cases, false flattery. Here is an example of what apple polishing is:
"Wow you look so beautiful today! I really like your makeup, it's so pretty. Can I borrow 5 dollars?"
After reading some examples online and reading a couple definitions, i realized that kids tend to use apple polishing a lot when they want something they know they shouldn't want or ask for. The kids I babysit for example always do it with me. One of them always wants cookies, right before dinner, which she knows she can't have. She therefore uses apple polishing and hopes that her flatteries will work in her favor and that I will give in because she flattered me. In her case, it is kind of cute though :)

1 comment:

  1. Elsie,
    Apple polishing was a vague topic for me as well. I honestly have never heard of the topic used as an argumentative tool or a type of appeal to emotion. What I saw for apple polishing is basically words used to bribe someone. The idea is if you give a compliment of some sort, you will expect something back. To me, this is one of the weaker appeals to emotions. It is not as effective as the other appeals to emotion because it doesn’t really affect a person as much as fear or revenge in my opinion. Great writing and great explanation of this topic!

    ReplyDelete