Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Types of Reasonings

1). Reasoning by Analogy:
Premise #1: My father and brothers all play ice hockey.
Premise #2: My mother and I are both figure skaters.
Conclusion: Every member of my family ice skates.

2)
Sign Reasoning:

Coach: Elsie, make sure you are at the rink at 6a.m tomorrow morning.
Elsie: That will not be possible. I have a huge midterm I really need to study for.
Coach: That is fine, but make sure to practice and come in earlier the next day then.
Elsie: Okay, I will come in two hours earlier the next day to make up the hours I missed.

3). 
Causal Reasoning:

Premise #1: I left my house late for school this morning.
Premise #2: I missed the bus and had to walk all the way to school.
Conclusion: I therefore got to school an hour late.

4).
 Reasoning by Criteria:

Your wife will want some kind of shiny and expensive jewelry for your anniversary. How about this diamond ring?

5).
 Reasoning by Example:

You should practice your triple axle as often as possible. I know people who did not spend enough time practicing it and who now are not able to do it.

6). 
Inductive:

Premise: I have been at the ice rink every single monday at 6a.m since the semester started.
Conclusion: I will be at the ice rink at 6a.m next monday.

7). 
Deductive

Premise #1: Everyone who lives in my house owns a pair of ice skates.
Premise #2: My brother lives in my house.
Conclusion: My brother owns a pair of ice skates.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your examples they were clear and precise and on point with every type of reasoning we were supposed to discuss. I looked at yours and thought the way you did it was the best way to get the point across. I felt that your examples gave us an idea of what you like to do and what your life is like which is nice to see. I based my blog on yours somewhat the style in which you presented your examples. I made my examples more personal as well. It made me make my examples more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elsie, I have to say, nicely done and it overall looks like examples the book would provide haha! That's a good thing though!It is a good thing that it is organized because it is easier to follow. You wrote the term and examples which made it easier to understand the terms instead of relying only on definition. Although, I think it would be nice to at least define the terms. Not everyone can just understand the points with just examples. At least for me, I understand points better if a definition and example if provided. Since I understand your examples, the lack of definitions was not a problem to me. But overall, it was still well done.

    ReplyDelete