Friday, November 12, 2010

Casual Reasoning

I found this week's topic to be interesting because I had not realized until now how often we actually use casual reasoning. After reading about it in our textbook and online, I realized how often we actually use casual reasoning while having a normal conversation. For example this morning, I was talking to my ice skating coach and told her: I have been skating since I was a little girl and it is one, if not my biggest passion. I therefore think that I will keep on skating until I absolutely have to stop.
I did not realize until after reading this chapter that casual reasoning is used very often in our every day conversations. I therefore found it kind of cool, in a way, that we learned about it :)
I also had not realized until reading this chapter that there were so many different ways to reason. Even though some are very similar to one another and can be kind of confusing, I found this chapter to be very helpful and interesting.

4 comments:

  1. Casual reasoning is a very cool idea. People can reason or justify whatever they are doing as long as it makes sense to them at that time and in that space. Casual reasoning is so personal that seldom do we hear of others trying to tell us we are wrong. When you talk about ice-skating I can relate surfing to my own life. I love to surf, and will find a way to keep it a part of my life until I absolutely cannot do it any more. I can easily find justification fro spending time and money, even though my wife may not always agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved how you related causal reasoning into an everyday conversation. I also could relate to your post because as I said before, I used to ice skate. Anyways, I can say the same about one of my hobbies. I have been playing piano and studying music ever since I was very young and I still study music today. Because of my passion for music, I actually want to write songs or sing or perform a song. Sometimes I use this conversation about my music passion with causal reasoning as well. When people ask me why I would like to pursue a career in music, and I just say that it's because I've loved it since I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found this chapter pretty interesting because everything we say can be analyzed by different kinds of reasoning. The more you are able to analyze arguments the better you can be at justifying. Casual reading if used often in our daily conversations. Being late for work because you woke up late which caused you to forget something, etc. These events cause something else and that is how our lives go, one event after another. Usually the event causing the other. I can relate a bit because I use to ice skate when I was younger but I haven't skated in a while unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elsie,
    I too felt that casual reasoning is a topic that is very common and often in conversations. I feel that casual reasoning is something that we naturally tend to do, flow from one idea to the next in a very casual and unnoticeable manner. For example, I was speaking with my brother about school and my career. I told him that making money, professionalism, respect, and leadership are a few characteristics that have defined me throughout my whole life. This is the reason why I joined business and why I feel like a will be a successful business person. This chapter has also helped me realize that many of our everyday language can be broken down into reasoning. Great example and great blog post!

    ReplyDelete