Thursday, November 11, 2010

Inductive Reasoning

Out of all the different types of reasoning we were given, the one which confused me the most was inductive reasoning. When I first read about inductive reasoning, I was a little confused and did not fully understand what it truly was. However, after looking it up some more online, I found exactly what it was. Inductive reasoning is taking a specific case and making it into an overall rule. It is basically making a generalization from one specific situation. Here is an example of what inductive reasoning is: "All flies I have ever seen were black. Therefore all flies must be black." In this specific case, the argument is false. There are not only black flies; their colors differ according to their species. However, inductive reasoning is taking a specific case, in this case "all flies I have ever seen were black" and making it a generalization by concluding that all flies must therefore be black.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I definitely agree with you how Inductive Reasoning can be confusing, not only that but after reading and giving examples for each of the topics, I got more confused because it looked like they all kind of mean the same- even if they obviously do not, and there are quite some differences here and there that I had to take note on to be able to understand the differences they have. However, I found this post about inductive reasoning helpful as well as the example you’ve given was also good and easy to comprehend. Again, keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete